Sunday, November 12, 2017

NHYN Interview!




On November 12th, I had the chance to interview American born and Dubai based artist, NHYN. NHYN is an emerging artist with two solo projects, Pharaogamo and his latest, Dwaynism. His work incorporates a unique style, a transparency that allows listeners to feel the emotions that drives the music. In this interview, he gives us a detailed perspective on his life as an artist. We discuss his beginnings, his inspirations, and his visions for the future. Check out his latest work "Bounce It" and "Wait."

LAMON: I know you've mentioned this in earlier works, but for new listeners, what led you into becoming an artist?

NHYN: I would say dropping out of school. Prior to dropping out, I was making music everyday. In my room making beats, or if I was in class I'd be writing rhymes. I realized obviously I don't need to be here, maybe I need to go do something in music. So that's what led me to drop out and chase this dream. I actually had a conversation with my mentor before dropping out. I was like "yo, you think it would be a good idea to drop out of school?" (laughs). Everybody kept telling me it's a bad idea, saying I'm gonna fail, and giving me rates about the success of dropouts. I was like forget it, just going to try it out and take a risk. 

LAMON: Did moving to Dubai have any impact on your art?

NHYN: Definitely, my lifestyle has changed. I have new content to write about. It's different dealing with foreign women. Some just know you're black and from America. Driving crazy cars, or seeing crazy cars and mansions. It's like I got the lifestyle, before I got the actual money. I got used to having a driver, maids, and little small things like that. It definitely feels like I'm really rich (laughs). Living over here in Dubai gave me freedom to create without stressing. 

LAMON: Is it different looking at current events in the United States from an outside perspective?

NHYN: Yeah, people over here usually worry about their own problems. Whenever I hear something happening back in the United States, I'm just like "man, America is crazy." It's a lot going on over there, but over here there's like nothing going on. Sometimes it sounds like war is going on back home. It's different over here. They really appreciate our culture though. They listen to a lot of rap too. They mostly listen to older rap though. They haven't really caught on with the new wave of music. I feel like that's my job over here, to put them on some new music. 

LAMON: How big of a role does your team play in supporting you art?

NHYN: My team plays a pretty big role. Currently we're planning, and just trying to take it to the next level. 

LAMON: Are there any particular artists that inspire you?

NHYN: I listen to a lot of Andre 3000 and Kanye West. Of course, Kendrick Lamar. I hate listening to Kendrick Lamar, because I don't wanna sound like Kendrick but I love his music. A few of my friends also make some really dope music. My friend Lawrence, who I grew up with as a kid and we reconnected when I moved to Atlanta. Also my homie Millic who lives in Korea, and he's a really dope artist. 

LAMON: Artists do so many things nowadays, you can't really put a label on it. 

NHYN: It has to be that way. We have to do all the work. Even with business, we have to be the artists and the business owners. You have to learn to sell yourself, which is cool. It's a learning experience. I'm just glad I went to business school, even though I dropped out (laughs).

LAMON: Let's talk about the creative process. When crafting a song, do you already have a direction planned? Or is it more based on the vibe in the studio?

NHYN: Sometimes I have an idea of what I want to do before I go into the studio. When I turn on a beat, sometimes that idea can turn into something totally new. Basically, the vibe is everything. I can go in motivated to make one song, and then make another song that I end up liking more. Getting in front of the microphone, and putting on the headphones is where you really create the vibe. Also just hearing your voice. I can write a song back home, and then go into the studio and not like how it sounds at all. Hearing myself on the microphone really is what determines if I like a song or not. 

LAMON: Is there a release to be able to express yourself through art?

NHYN: Yeah, it's definitely a bit of release. A lot of frustration, but definitely release. Because once you express yourself, then you have to be bold enough to put out the music. It's like I made this song and I like it, but will they like it? You stress about that. A lot of times that's what takes me so long to put out music. I have to go through the psychological process, and be mentally ready to put it out. You have to have that mentality to put it out and say "let's see how it works." I actually had "Bounce It" for a whole year. I debated on whether I should put it out. You know what's crazy, I actually dropped "Bounce It" a month before I told anybody I put it out. I only did that to see the feedback I would get if no one knew about it. I got a lot of great feedback from it, and people were sending me messages saying they heard it. It got a good reaction, so I decided to really put it out there. 

LAMON: The thing about art is that it really gives you freedom for self-expression.

NHYN: You've gotta really go with your instincts. If I would've really went with my intuition, I probably would've let it go a long time ago. I'm learning that now, to really trust my instincts. I'm trying to push myself to get past myself. I wanna be able to release more music, and I want people to know what's going on in my life. 

LAMON: What's the meaning behind the name NHYN?

NHYN: NHYN (nine) represents the number for universal love. That's why the logo I created is a heart. It's a complex heart like a puzzle, because love is difficult. I felt like NHYN is a representation of what I'm trying to do in the industry. I'm trying to be that piece that brings everyone together. Whether it's helping a producer in the studio, or a homeless person on the street. I'm trying to be that vessel that can really relate to people, that they can say "he really cares about me and my well-being." Nine represents completeness, like being spiritually complete. That's how it feels, because I made the album Dwaynism which is talking about self-love and self-worth. I had to basically relocate to Dubai and go through that process of looking at who I am, and what I'm trying to do. NHYN represents me. 

LAMON: Are there any artists that you wish to work with?

NHYN: Andre 3000 for sure, Erykah Badu, definitely Kanye West, and Frank Ocean. These are artists that do a lot for me, I really like these people. Andre 3000 is the best rapper in my opinion, I feel like people forget about him until he drops a verse. When he drops a verse, it's a big deal. 

LAMON: As an emerging artist, how do you maintain humility as your publicity grows?

NHYN: I don't know if I'm humble at all. I'm just very introverted. I don't really think in terms of publicity growth, just individual growth. I'm not too pressed about fame, I don't really care about that. The bigger I go is just a bigger platform. I wouldn't say I'm humble, I wish I was humble. Behind closed doors I'm probably boastful. Then I'm just quiet, because I don't want to come off as boastful (laughs). 

LAMON: Are there any milestones that you plan to accomplish throughout your career?

NHYN: I want a Grammy, but only because I've been working on my speech for awhile. I've been preparing for like four years.

LAMON: Hopefully we hear it one day.

NHYN: It's definitely going to be a dope speech. I think I only get like thirty seconds anyway, so I'm trying to make the best thirty seconds ever. Kanye West has the best Grammy speech right now, so I'm trying to top him. 

LAMON: Do you have any advice for aspiring artists?

NHYN: Stay in school, don't chase your dreams (laughs). Nah, but I would say learn the business. That's the main thing if you're trying to get into music, learn the business. You might end up losing a lot of money, because no one is going to treat you better than you treat yourself. Always remember that you are a brand, and you have to treat it as such. It's a marathon, and not a quick race. If you're really into music for the long run, it's definitely a marathon. There's a lot of ups and downs, but they're all important for your journey. 

LAMON: I'm aware that you studied audio engineering, what role did that play on your development as an artist? 

NHYN: For starters, I know what quality sounds like. I know what to look for when I'm making a record, what sounds pleasing to the ear. Going to Los Angeles for audio engineering allowed me to meet other aspiring artists. It allowed me to network with them, and meet other people that wanted to help out. That's what led me to moving to Dubai. Studying audio engineering in LA really catapulted my career. 

LAMON: What impact do you plan to make with your career? 

NHYN: Spreading love and teaching people. I also want to add to the culture, I feel like I have a lot to bring. I've been through a lot in these 25 years, and I feel like I have wisdom. I'm not where I want to be yet, but I just have to be patient. You have to take risks for that big reward.  

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Good questions and information on the artist.. I feel like I am interested in listening to the music now.. good work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very thorough read! Extremely great questions! I learned very in depth knowledge about an artist I already thought I knew a lot about! lol Dope!

    ReplyDelete