Saturday, November 25, 2017

Thanksgiving 2K17

See the source image

There's something special about coming together with family members. You share genetics, memories, and traditions with these people, which produces a unique sense of intimacy. One of my family's most valued traditions is our Thanksgiving reunions. We all travel from our different locations to meet up at a family member's home. It's a time for us to catch up with each other and share details relating to our work, school, and other extraordinary life happenings. This year, Thanksgiving was hosted by my aunt in South Carolina. She did an amazing job to make things flow smoothly, and made sure everyone was comfortable. There was an array of dishes. The food was spectacular, of course. My favorite dishes were the smoked turkey and macaroni & cheese. I definitely overindulged, and had to resist a food coma for the rest of the evening.  After eating, it was time for the Slice of Heaven cooking contest. The contest is a family tradition that was established in 2010. My mother and her siblings compete to make the best version of a chosen food item. This year's food item was cake. We had four contestants this year, and four judges. The winner was none other than my mother. It was her first time winning, and bringing the trophy back home. While everyone was gathered at the conclusion of the contest, another cake was placed on the table. Only this cake was not another contest entry. My cousin and his wife were announcing a new addition to the family. They presented us with a gender reveal cake. It was a huge surprise that no one saw coming. The cake was sliced, and a pink frosting emerged. It was a legendary moment. We all rejoiced with the news that our family was growing. It was a day filled with laughter, joy, and excitement. You wish that times like these could last forever. These times provide positive memories that stick with you for a lifetime. I enjoyed my Thanksgiving, and the day was filled with rich experiences. Just know that I did eventually succumb to that food coma, and didn't awake until around noon on Friday. For a visual representation of my family's Thanksgiving, check out my sister's vlog below. Thanks for reading, and enjoy your holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment